Malek Alraddad

International Programmes Manager | Generations for Peace
Jordan HUB
JORDAN

 

Malek Alraddad is deeply motivated to participate in the Certification Program for Compassionate Systems Master Practitioners to gain the practical tools and theoretical foundation necessary to support the implementation of Generations for Peace programs in over 51 countries around the world including USA, Afriqa, Asia, and the MENA region. The programs include peace building activities that targets the youth in the areas affected by the conflict, people are getting together from different atheneites, communities, countries, and tribes to use sports, art, advocacy, and dialogues to overcome the challenges faced within the area of conflict. The aim of such activities is to prevent, mitigate, and stop the conflict by gathering different people to understand each other’s perspectives and coming together in a space that helps people getting to know each other more.

Previously, Malek worked on the support of the implementation of the Transforming Refugee Education towards Excellence (TREE) program supported by Community Jameel and in partnership with the Abdul Latif Jameel World Education Lab (J-WEL). TREE targeted teachers and children in the public schools of Jordan to support their well-being. Children in Jordan are underperforming in school and finding the classroom a stressful environment. The life chances afforded by a quality basic education are slipping out of reach for a generation of Jordan’s children. This was not always the case; Jordan historically maintained an internationally admired education system. Falling educational standards have been exacerbated by the Syria crisis since 2011. Over a million Syrians have fled to Jordan; over 660,000 of whom are registered refugees. Of these, 78.7% live in host communities while the remaining 21.3% live in camps. This has placed considerable strain on social, economic, and natural resource systems throughout Jordan with extensive burdens placed specifically on the education and health sectors. As a result, the TREE program was designed by J-WEL and Save the Children Jordan to adopt the Compassionate Systems Framework to target the teachers and children in Jordan to support the education system.

Malek has eight-plus years of work experience, working mainly for non-governmental organizations, including six years with International Relief & Development (IRD), where he managed cross-border relief to southern Syria, health projects throughout Jordan, and protection programming in Zaatari (the largest refugee camp for Syrian refugees in the MENA region). He spent a year working as an instructor for a private university in Jordan, and is currently working on the TREE program with Save the Children.

His education background, combined with his work experience, has provided him with a strong foundation in research and critical thinking to be successful in managing such a program. He completed his undergraduate studies at Hashemite University in Jordan and obtained his master’s from Athens Information Technology in Greece.  Upon graduation in 2011, he moved back to Jordan to teach at Philadelphia University where he closely mentored a handful of Syrian refugees to help them access postgraduate opportunities. In 2014, he started working for IRD conducting monitoring and evaluation of humanitarian programs in Syria. In 2015, he was selected to manage the largest USAID-funded program in southern Syria as Junior Programs Manager. His job entailed managing a budget of $45 million USD and a team of 160 Jordan, Syrian, and international staff members, as well as coordinating the entire emergency response in southern Syria jointly with the UN. In 2017, he was promoted to Senior Programs Manager to oversee implementation of an array of humanitarian programs including emergency food assistance, NFIs and WASH. In 2018, he began managing community programs in Zaatari, the largest Syrian refugee camp in Jordan, in addition to cross-border programming in southern Syria.

Recently, Malek joined Generations for Peace team where he mainly manages the relationship with the local offices around the world, partners, volunteers, and donors to ensure effective implementation of the program and obtaining the proper approvals. In addition, he also works closely with Generations for Peace Jordan’s finance team to manage the financial aspects of the program, the logistics, and any other needs for the international programs.